Wondering how to prevent your nails from peeling? Here are ten suggestions.
10 Ways to Stop Your Nails From Peeling
- Use water-based nail polish, rather than regular solvent-based nail polish. Regular nail polish contains harsh chemicals that can dry out your nails.
- Use an acetone-free nail polish remover, preferably one with natural ingredients. Nail polish removers that contain ethyl acetate can still dry out your nails, making them more likely to peel.
- If the top layer of your nails started peeling off after repeated application and removal of nail polish, you may want to let your nails breath for a while. Nails that are filed and buffed can still look very nice.
- Avoid tapping your nails or using them to pry open soda cans or other containers.
- Use natural jojoba oil to re-hydrate your nails. Massage a drop of jojoba oil into your cuticles and bare nail beds at least once per day.
- File your nails every time after cutting them, and at least once per week. Filing and shaping nails can help prevent both peeling and tearing.[1. What to do about my peeling nails? http://skincare.about.com/od/skincarefaqs/f/PeelingNails.htm] Opt for a crystal nail file, or four sided buffer, rather than a harsh metal file.
- Wear gloves while washing dishes and using household cleaners.[2. http://www.sheknows.com/beauty-and-style/articles/804521/top-tips-to-prevent-and-repair-dry-damaged-nails Get Healthy and Beautiful Nails] This also helps protect your hands from over-exposure to water and cleaning agents.
- Eat foods that are rich in biotin (vitamin B-5).[3. How to Prevent Peeling Nails http://www.livestrong.com/article/165034-how-to-prevent-peeling-nails/] Biotin is found in swiss chard, carrots, almonds, strawberries, and cauliflower.[4. 8 Foods Rich in Biotin http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/nutrition/vitamins-minerals/8-foods-rich-in-biotin.html]
- Wear warm gloves when going outside in cold weather.[5. http://www.azteenmagazine.com/nail-care.php?article=310]
- Moisturize your hands regularly.
Do you have other suggestions of how to prevent your nails from peeling?